Get ready – this hike is a real stunner and proves to impress the most regular of hikers in Hong Kong. Ng Tung Chai is one of the most unique hikes in Hong Kong offering a 4-6 hour loop depending on your speed. The trail is a picturesque route offering a slew of different views, plant life, and 4 incredible waterfalls. A real gem in Hong Kong, we suggest you start at the bottom and loop around – making an effort to stop, swim, and picnic along the way. The full hike is around 10k but there are ways of doing shorter hikes with younger kids too.
The Full Loop:
The full hiking loop is around 10K and features all four waterfalls (Bottom Fall, Middle Fall, Main Fall, and Scatter Fall). This hike is recommended for kids over 6 years old. While the path is shaded, it is not considered easy and has rocky climbs in many areas. At the entrance, you will follow the signs to the waterfalls passing by streams, the gorgeous Man Tak Monastery, and more as you head to your first waterfall – Bottom Fall.
Tips For Hiking With Kids:
– Pack up! There is no water or food along the trail so be sure to pack what you need. There are a few houses at the entrance selling drinks.
– Shaded Hike. This is a bonus for the hot hiking season. Most of the loop is shaded.
– Picnic And Swim. We choose to picnic at the Main Fall but you might consider the lesser crowded Scatter Fall which also offers a cool cave to explore and water hole.
– For families hiking with younger kids, you can do a short hike into Bottom Fall and back and this would be around 1 hour.
One of the best hikes in Hong Kong complete with swimming holes and waterfalls.
Families looking for a truly special and memorable hike!
For families hiking with younger kids, you can do a short hike into Bottom Fall and back and this would be around 1.5 hours.
Starting Point: The Ng Tung Chai Waterfalls hike starts from Ng Tung Chai village on Lam Kam Road.
Getting To Ng Tung Waterfalls:
- Drive & Park - You can park right at the trailhead (put Ng Tung Chai waterfall hike into your google maps). Be sure to get there early.
- MTR & Bus or Taxi: Part of Tai Mo Shan Country Park, this waterfall is accessible from Tai Wo MTR station (exit A). Simply take the 64K KMB bus from the station to Ng Tung Chai village and follow the signs. You can also take a taxi from the station (around HK$50).