Enjoy a rewarding and memorable holiday season this year that money simply can’t buy. Caring for our community can start young with mommy and daddy as role models. Donate your time and touch another’s heart whether you help packing warm meals, visit handicapped children, or foster a pet and more – take your pick!
Volunteer your morning or afternoon to pack hot meals with these angels at their central kitchen in Chai Wan or Sham Shui Po. Made using surplus ingredients, the meals get served to underprivileged communities in HK. Their website lists daily volunteer vacancies for kids aged 16 and up, register online. If you have little ones, sign up to be a Bread Angel to help redistribute edible surplus bread. The kiddos can help keep count and learn the names of breads!
Perfect for the musician or the crafty ones, bring joy and love to these youngsters. This home for mentally and physically disabled young children is looking for volunteers to host weekend activities for their resident children year-round. Play solo or perform as a father-and-son duo to put on a mini concert. A crafting or painting session is perfect too to touch these childrens’ hearts.
Help prepare soap donated by hotels for recycling and distribution to underprivileged families and schools in disadvantaged communities around Asia. Help with sorting, carving and recycling soap. Volunteers aged 15 and up can attend, while volunteers aged 12 and up can join with a parent in attendance. Held regularly on most weekends with both morning and afternoon sessions.
Volunteers aged 14 and up or parents can give back while equipping themselves with new social, leadership and presentation skills with Kids4Kids’ Buddy Reading Program. Spend an hour or so with local primary school students reading English stories and playing fun games to help develop their love for stories. Volunteer induction organized twice monthly gets the Reading Buddies started.
Volunteer to be a Foster Parent and give a darling pet a temporary home. SPCA provides the food, vaccines and check-up while the guests stay for anytime from a few weeks to a few months. These baby canine and felines are great companions and can offer the perfect opportunity for kiddos to learn what it takes to care for another. This service is most in need of volunteers. Sign up now! Another great charity to check out is Kristen's Zoo Charity. There are some wonderful dogs in need of a good and loving home.
SPCA, +852 2802 0801, www.spca.org.hk.
Kristen's Zoo Charity, www.facebook.com/KirstensZooCharity/
Kids all love a treasure hunt! Sign up with HKCleanup and invite a family or a crew to join your hunt for trash and recyclables at one of HK’s non-managed beaches that really needs that extra loving care. Once registered, HKCleanup will furnish you with all instructions including drop-off points for your treasures. What other great way to get the kids to pitch-in and learn a thing or two about recycling? And as a reward, pack a picnic lunch to enjoy on the cleaned beach after!
* Justice Centre Hong Kong is calling for toy donations for children between age 0 - 10. Drop off at their Sai Ying Pun office by December 12th. See their Facebook Page for details.
* Society for Community Organization (SoCo) is calling for volunteer mentors for kids as well as afterschool tutors to help coach and guide underprivileged youngsters in Hong Kong. Get in touch.
* The China Coast Community, a home for the elderly is looking for music performers, school bands, choirs and crafties to come spend an afternoon with the residents. Help brighten up their day! Get in touch.
* Hong Kong Dog Rescue welcomes volunteers aged 18 above to help walk the dogs at their centres in Tai Po and Ap Lei Chau, as well as help take photos or videos and at events. Check their website for details.
* Lizzie Bee runs art workshops for underprivileged kids. To help fund these workshops, they also offer workshops for fee-paying kids. You know you're helping make activities possible for those who can't afford them.
* HandsOn Hong Kong works with a myriad charities around Hong Kong. Register as a volunteer and help out at the events that call for volunteers.