Sitting on the highest point in Macau, Guia Fortress atop Guia Hill was built between 1622 and 1638 to defend the territory’s border with China. Inside the fortress stands Guia Chapel, originally established by Clarist nuns, who resided at the site before establishing the Convent of St. Clare. Uncovered in 1998, the chapel features elaborate frescoes that depict a mix of western and Chinese motifs, both religious and mythological, evident of Macau’s multiculturalism. The fortress’ lighthouse, dating from 1865, which stands within the perimeter, is the first modern lighthouse on the Chinese coast.
This symbolic attraction represents the city's maritime, military and missionary history.
Older kids will enjoy the lighthouse, chapel and the fortress' canons, while younger ones will be enthralled by the short cable car ride up to the attraction.
Save yourself the walk up Guia HIll by taking the Guia Cable Car from the entrance to Flora Garden.