It’s on – Chinese New Year outfits are hitting the streets and schools for the year of the Tiger! Tis’ the season to dress to impress for Chinese New Year events, school celebrations, family gatherings, and more. Little Steps has shopped the markets, designers, and boutiques to give you the scoop on where to buy the perfect Cheongsams, Qipaos, Hong Kong-style costumes, and Chinese New Year outfits for your babies, toddlers, boys, girls, and adults too! We also included a qipao rental company in Hong Kong – score!
1. Ganas Kids: This children's apparel brand based in Hong Kong offers clothes and accessories in playful Asian designs for babies and kids aged 0-3. They personalize too making it an awesome option for kids to stand out this Chinese New Year. Their limited edition Chinese New Year bodysuits are back! 'Fat go zhutou' is a local take on a traditional Chinese New Year greeting for abundant wealth.
2. Cotton On: This family-favorite brand is joining in on the fun this year with some great CNY-themed t-shirts (currently buy 1 get 50% off) as well gorgeous red dresses for the girls and tiger printed shirts for the boys!
3. Etsy: We all love Etsy and for CNY, they have a nice and small collection of cheongsams for girls, adorable rompers for babies, and some cute CNY-inspired tops for mom. Check them out online, international delivery varies, so best order soon rather than later!
4. Sea Apple: This unique label comes from Singapore, but also ships overseas. They offer a beautiful and chic selection of Chinese New Year outfits that are designed for a modern family. Check them out online!
5. Ellystore: Another adorable store from Singapore that also specializes in styling the whole family in gorgeous Chinese New Year outfits, we absolutely adore the Zodiac flower collection as well as the lace collection that comes in lovely colors. Although they do deliver overseas, not all items are available.
6. Yue Hwa Chinese Products: Another notable seller of traditional Chinese products in Hong Kong, Yue Hwa is a leading market retailer selling a variety of Chinese products with genuine quality, from healthcare, arts, and crafts to clothing... You can also shop online!
7. Retykle: We love upcycling and creating a new life for old garments. Retykle is Hong Kong's online consignment shop and they offer a variety of slightly used and new CNY-styled clothing options. You can shop for designer children's clothes in all shades of red for the new year at a discounted price.
8. Gie Gie Boutique: The Little Steps team found this secret shop accidentally and it is packed with gorgeous year-round Cheongsams in styles and fabrics that you do not find in the markets (yet, still at affordable rates). Moms, dad, boys, girls, and toddlers - they have outfits for the whole family here.
Where: Shop 111, Infinitus Plaza, 199 Des Voeux Road, Hong Kong, 2/F, +852 2501 0886, email@example.com
9. More Traditional Chinese Outfits For Kids: There are a variety of shops in Hong Kong that do traditional Chinese Outfits online for babies and kids. You will find a few of our favorite shops below:
Get festive and buy your Cheongsam to have a matching outfit with the little ones:
1. Shanghai Tang: A premium designer brand offering modern Chinese outfits, designer qipaos, and Mandarin collared shirts for men. We love their secret embroidered roosters on the corners of the men's collared shirts.
Where: Shanghai Tang, various locations, website
2. AliExpress: When in doubt, head to AliExpress, this online store always saves the day. They have various traditional Chinese New Year outfits for the whole family. Make sure to place your order ahead of time, as delivery times vary.
3. H&M: This Swedish brand always offers a cute and laidback collection of Chinese New Year outfits closer to the actual date. Make sure to check out their stores all over Hong Kong as well as online!
Where: Locations all over Hong Kong, www2.hm.com/en_hk/index.html
4. Classics Anew: A young Hong Kong-based fashion label providing a renewed version of the traditional style Cheongsam with contemporary elements.
Where: Unit H407, 4/F, Block B, PMQ, 35 Aberdeen Street, Central, Hong Kong, website
5. QIPAO RENTAL - Yan Shang Kee: Want to try wearing Qipao, but do not want to own it? No worries- Yan Shang Kee provides a Qipao /(Cheongsam) rental service. Book a fitting session with them, try on the styles you like, and take a stroll in Central in your groovy Chinese traditional outfit. What's more? The hairstyling service is included in the rental price, so you get an authentic Qipao experience.
Where: Flat C, 1/F, 16A Elgin Street, Central, Hong Kong, website.
6. QIPAO DESIGNER RENTALS - Style Carousel - Style Carousel is a curated online marketplace for bespoke pieces and luxury fashion rentals. For Chinese New Year, they have partnered with Yi Ming for Qipao/Cheongsam rentals. Shop for designer rentals for CNY (it's great for the environment too)!
Where: Style Carousel, https://stylecarousel.com/
1. Stanley Market: You will find plenty of dress-up gear here - babies. boys, girls!
2. The Lanes: Close to Central near Top Shop...browse away!
3. Pottinger Street: Plenty of outfits for all ages.
4. Ladies Market: The famous market in Wan Chai that has anything that you can imagine!
Click here to check out our guide to the top 10 markets in HK.
Editor's note: Markets have been hard during COVID times, now is a good time to support local!
There are also a lot of new online shops in the business, most of them provide tailor-made traditional Chinese outfit for kids. Book an appointment with them!
1. Poyee-Babycheongsam, website.
2. Doppio's HK, website.
3. Zalora, website.
4. Gie Gie Boutique, Sheung Wan: Shop 111, Infinitus Plaza, 199 Des Voeux Road, Hong Kong, +852 2501 0886 & Ground Floor, 14 WIng Kut Street, Hong Kong +852 2804 2823 | Admiralty: Shop 48, 1/F Admiralty Centre, 18 Harcourt Road, Hong Kong, +852 2804 2805, firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Little Islanders, website.