Applying for a driver’s license is a straightforward process in Hong Kong. Depending on which country you are from, most of the time you are required only to bring in your overseas driver’s license without requiring any additional testing (sweet!). There is more information here but it is best to call in advance. Here is a guide to get your license sorted in no time!
1. You must hold a valid driver’s license from your country or have a license that has not been expired and valid for more than 3 years. The list of approved countries is here.
2. Show proof/documentation that you resided in the country that issued your current license for no less than 6 months.
3. That you hold the license for 5 years or more prior to your application for a driver's license in Hong Kong. Or you hold a passport or resident card from the city/country your license was issued.
1. Fill in the TD36A Form. For those over 70 years old, you also need to fill in TD256.
2. Hong Kong Identity Card (original and photocopy)
3. Relevant travel documents and passports (original and photocopy)
4. Overseas driver’s license (original and photocopy)
5. Proof of address issued within the past 3 months (utility bill or a bank statement addressed to the person applying)
6. Required fee - click here or call the call center (1823).
If your license is not on the list of approved countries, you can still get a license in Hong Kong. You will need to apply for a temporary license with the help of your past driving license. Within the first 3 months of arriving in Hong Kong, you must take a driving test. Based on the approved country license, you will need to take long other supporting documents.
Hong Kong Licensing Office, 3/F, United Centre, 95 Queensway, Hong Kong. (near Exit D of Admiralty MTR Station), Hong Kong, +852 2804 2636
Kowloon Licensing Office, 2/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon. (near Exit C of Sham Shui Po MTR Station), Hong Kong, +852 2150 7728
Kwun Tong Licensing Office, 5/F, Kowloon East Government Office, 12 Lei Yue Mun Road, Kowloon. (near Exit D4 of Kwun Tong MTR Station), +852 2775 6835
Sha Tin Licensing Office, 2/F, Sha Tin Government Offices, 1 Sheung Wo Che Road, Sha Tin, New Territories. (near Exit B of Sha Tin MTR Station), +852 2606 1468
Little Steps Asia knows what families need.
Sign up for our email newsletters to get the most out of Asia!
We need you! Give us 5-7 minutes, we will give YOU the chance to win a 2-night stay at Renaissance Bali – Nusa Dua Resort for a family of 4!