Presented by Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay, Moonfest – A Mid-Autumn Celebration showcases some of the very best traditional Chinese arts by Singapore and overseas artists and companies. This 15th edition of Moonfest is even more accessible, especially for families and the younger generation to encounter the beauty of traditional Chinese arts. Moonfest will feature more than 60 top-notch free performances and activities including xiqu (Chinese opera), dance, music, shadow puppetry, crosstalk, lantern riddles, and more.
Highlights of free performances and activities include:
• Classic xiqu excerpts performed by “Little Plum Blossom” artists, which is the highest
accolade given to young xiqu performers below the age of 14 in China.
• Taishan Shadow Puppetry performances where the skillful puppeteer from China
demonstrates the controlling of shadow puppets, singing and playing percussion
instruments all at the same time.
• Nostalgic street opera performances of classic excerpts by Sin Yong Hua Heng Teochew
Opera Troupe under a moonlit night.
• A unique performance that blends Chinese crosstalk— a witty, humorous and light-hearted
performing art—and a cappella music by Soo Wee Seng, Ho Jia Wen & The Apex Project.
• A fun-filled performance by Singapore’s top radio group Yu Jian Huang Chong—
comprising Chen Biyu, Marcus Chin, Mark Lee and Dennis Chew—featuring folk, dialect
and xinyao music, and memorable movie theme songs.
• Ever-popular Lantern Walkabout on Sept 14, 2019 where limited free lanterns will be given out.
There will also be a series of ticketed Parent-Child Workshops where families can bond and learn more about xiqu, shadow puppetry and Shaolin martial arts, or make their own lanterns. Those who are musically inclined can also try their hand at playing a hulusi (a folk wind instrument from China that is shaped like a gourd) at the Let’s Learn to Play the Hulusi! ticketed workshop conducted by Jonathan Tan from Dicapella Dizi Ensemble.
Rediscover Chinese traditions at this year’s much-anticipated Moonfest in celebration of the Mid-Autumn Festival.
When: September 13-15, 2019.
Esplanade Theatres On The Bay, 1 Esplanade Drive, Singapore 038981, +65 6828 8377, Website
100+ Activities To Do With Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens In Singapore