We continue the Little Steps Talking Heads series, where parents can meet, greet, and get tips from Singapore’s Heads of Schools! Get personal with these fabulous personalities and find out what makes them tick, their advice for parents navigating the schooling scene, and their favorite things about living in the city.
In this edition, we say hello to Yvonne Khong, Eugenia Usmyta, and Rekha Parameswaran who are either Vice Principal or Principal at White Lodge International Pre-school & Childcare.
1. Where were you born and where did you grow up? I was born In Malaysia and I am originally from Kuantan.
2. What inspired you to become a principal? To pick up a new role and new challenges, enabling myself to learn new and fascinating traits.
3. Describe your school in 5 words or less? Friendly, warm, family environment, nurturing.
4. What is the best way for parents to be involved in their children’s education? Provide the information and ideas as an extension of their learning. Encourage volunteering from parents.
5. What's in your lunchbox? I usually always eat what is on the lunch menu for the children that day. Our meals are cooked at the school so that they are fresh, and I enjoy spending time with them and eating together.
1. Where were you born and where did you grow up? I was born in Cochrane, Kuala Lumpur and I grew up around Cheras, Kuala Lumpur.
2. What inspired you to become vice principal? I am a dweller of the trade that I am attached to, like that when I came to White Lodge I was focusing on being a class teacher where else I was driven from my initial focus and into a leadership role. My biggest inspiration is none other than our Founding Director Ms. Jayne Nadarajoo listening to her encouragement makes me feel that I can achieve the top level in my school.
3. Describe your school in 5 words or less? Fantabulous in Desa Park City!
4. What is the best way for parents to be involved in their children’s education? Every parent should spend at least an hour a day with their children to understand their children’s credibility as well as their difficulties, in order to help a child’s growth as in person.
5. What's in your lunchbox? I don’t carry one haha. I usually just eat with the children at the school. The lunches are delicious!
1. Where were you born and where did you grow up? Born and raised in Kuala Lumpur
2. What inspired you to become vice principal? The job challenges and my interest in the job.
3. Describe your school in 5 words or less? Real, innovative, inspiring, welcoming.
4. What is the best way for parents to be involved in their children’s education? Attend school events. Demonstrate a positive view of education at home. Help manage the homework process. Attend parent organization meetings. Volunteer in the school
5. What's in your lunchbox? I’m vegetarian, therefore I bring some fruit and vegetables to school, which I really enjoy.
White Lodge Bangsar South Preschool: Unit 2-1, Level 2, Nexus, Bangsar South, No. 7, Jalan Kerinchi, 59200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, +603 2242 2663
White Lodge Mont Kiara Preschool: B-G-10 & B-G-11, Gateway Kiaramas, No 1, Jalan Desa Kiara, Mont Kiara, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, +603 6201 0314
White Lodge Desa ParkCity: Lot FF-02, First Floor, The Waterfront, Desa ParkCity, 52200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, +603 6262 2663