All aboard the Peng Chau ferry for a fun family outing! Just a 30-minute ferry ride from Central (Central Pier 6) and an easy 5-minute ride from DB, the car-free and carefree island of Peng Chau is fab for an afternoon of strolling, hiking, and escaping the city.
Peng Chau, located northeast of Lantau, is a tiny (measuring less than a square kilometer) island best known for its excellent seafood, temples, and hikes. This is an ideal island for taking kids as the entire island is navigable within an hour’s walk, making it easy to cover in a relaxed afternoon!
What To See/Do:
– Stroll the waterfront promenade with green views of neighboring islands.
– Make sure to check out the temples. There is a unique temple called Lung Mo Temple, dedicated to the Dragon Mother. It’s an eyecatching red and gold building on the beach overlooking the ocean. Inside the temple, you will find a “dragon bed” that’s believed to bring good luck upon touching it! There is also the Tin Hau Temple and the Seven Sisters Temple.
– Walk the Peng Chau Heritage Trail for a glimpse at historical sites and the not-so-historical but interesting Great China Match Factory.
– Hike to the top of Finger Hill for fab views of Hong Kong island on a sunny day (approx. 45-minute hike).
– Go for a bike ride along Peng Yu Path, a concrete path that leads you through beaches with ocean views. Rent a bike by the hour from Yan He Dan Che (研合單車) on 16 Wing On Street.
– Wander the tiny streets and alleys to shop for homeware, furniture, and more!
Where To Eat:
– Relax at the quaint HoHo Kitchen that offers sweet treats and warm drinks. A must-try is warm pineapple buns stuffed with ice cream. A sure hit with the kids!
Island Table Grocer Cafe offers homemade pastries, pizzas, coffees, and more! They tend to get very busy in the afternoon, best to grab your seats as early as possible. They also stock Western groceries from bread to cheese and other items that can be handy to bring on the hike or bike ride.
Another cute cafe to check out is Second Serve Coffee, founded by a husband and wife to make their dream of opening a tennis coffee shop come true. They serve all sorts of delicious pastries like doughnuts, pies, and bagels. And you can sign up for tennis lessons with the restaurant’s co-owner, an Australian USPTA Elite tennis coach!
– Fishermen still bring their fresh catch every day. Grab a seat at a seafood restaurant on Wing On Street, and enjoy!
Ready, set, explore…island style!
Relax and enjoy the laid back island life! Ramble along the promenade, relax at a café, and enjoy quality family time.
Little explorers in search of the island life.
If you really want an adventure, go island hopping from Hong Kong Island, Lantau and Peng Chau!
From Central, take the 30-minute ferry ride from Central Pier 6. Ferries leave approximately every 45 – 60 minutes and run. The ferry from Discovery Bay is only 5 minutes! There are also ferries connections from Mui Wo on Lantau Island and Chi Ma Wan on Cheung Chau.
Little Steps Asia knows what families need.
Sign up for our email newsletters to get the most out of Asia!