Mauritius is a small tropical island in the Indian Ocean. It is the perfect getaway for families of all ages. With white sandy beaches, stunning hotels, water sports, hiking in the mountains and much more to explore, this is one fun-filled island you must visit.Get ready to relax, recharge and have lots of family fun!.
• Hotels: Formerly known as a honeymoon destination, Mauritius has become increasingly popular for families with a fantastic selection of family-friendly resorts, some of which offer all-inclusive options and features such as interconnecting rooms.
• Kids Clubs: Most hotels have comprehensive kid and teen clubs (with some closing as late as 10pm) that offer a range of activities – kitesurfing, sports, arts and crafts, and even some with kiddie spa menus!
• Convenience: There are direct flights between Hong Kong and Mauritius on Air Mauritius two times per week, and the flying time is under 10 hours.
• Something New: It’s an ideal option for those who have been to beach destinations such as Bali, Phuket and the Maldives, and are looking for something new and different that is still a direct flight away.
Mauritius is located in the Southern Hemisphere, therefore the island’s “summer” months are between October to Easter and are ideal if you are looking for hot weather, lots of sun and plan on spending most of your time at the beach. This time of year is the island’s busiest season and prices are the highest. January to March sees the most rainfall, but these are just tropical showers so they don’t really spoil the good weather! The island is small and so it tends to escape the majority of big cyclones.
• A basic rule of thumb is casual and comfortable. Two-piece bathing suits are completely acceptable for females but do bring a cover-up when traveling to and from the beach/pool.
• Sundresses and short sleeve shirts are fine to wear to most restaurants in the evening.
• During the winter months, it is recommended that you bring light woolen clothing for the cooler evenings.
• Do show respect if visiting any religious places, making sure shoulders are covered and long shorts/skirts are worn. Leather shoes and belts must always be removed before entering these sites.
• Flip flops are fine for the beach, but do bring these from home as purchasing basic items can get expensive in Mauritius!
• Dive shoes are recommended for snorkeling, diving or surfing as the coral can be quite sharp.
There are two direct flights each week between Hong Kong and Mauritius on Air Mauritius – departures are on Tuesday & Saturday, returns are on Sunday & Thursday. All airlines fly into Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport on the island’s southeast.
Overlooking the Trou d’Eau Douce Bay, Shangri-la Le Touessrok is just a 50-minute drive from the airport. Children aged 4-11 can spend their days at the complimentary T-Club’s super clubhouse, and there is a teen’s club for those aged 12-17. The property’s own 18-hole championship golf course is located on the neighboring island of Ile Aux Certs, which is also a popular spot for snorkeling – these are fun activities that kids and parents can enjoy together! There are also plenty of dining options for those hard-to-please kids including Western, Chinese, Japanese and the beachfront Republik Beach Club Bar & Grill specializing in chargrilled barbecue and Mediterranean cuisine.
Located at Anahita, on the east coast of the island, this stunning all-pool villa escape at Four Seasons Resort Mauritius is perfect for families seeking an intimate getaway. The property is a 45-minute drive from the airport, or alternatively opt for a boat transfer. With Bambou Mountain serving as a backdrop and breathtaking views over a lagoon along with three secluded beaches, families will be spoilt for choice! The Crocodile and Tortoise Park nearby provides much entertainment for the little ones as does the Kids Club and Teen Centre with a range of both indoor and outdoor activities. Facilities include four restaurants, four pools, an overwater spa, an 18-hole golf course, two tennis courts and a fitness center – plenty to keep the adults busy too!
Surround yourself in the beauty of Bel Ombre at one of Mauritius’ loveliest beachfront resorts, the Outrigger Mauritius. We like the Deluxe Family Rooms as they measure 74 square meters and include a King bed and bunk beds or a rollaway bed. These are ideal for 2 adults and up to 3 children. The Coral Kids Club has a dedicated children’s pool with water slide, and the Mercado restaurant has a special kid’s corner where hosts from the club look after your children while you enjoy dinner. The hotel’s location provides great opportunities for kitesurfing, and kids will love discovering the wildlife at historic Domaine de Bel Ombre Nature Reserve. We especially love the special kid’s menu at Navasana Spa, which has specially tailored treatments for 5-12 year olds.
Just a 40-minute drive from the airport, this beachfront hotel is nestled among 36 acres of lush garden overlooking the Indian Ocean’s aquamarine waters. All villas at Shanti Maurice are ocean-facing, inclusive of private pools, and are some of the most generously sized in Mauritius. The specially designed Les Petits Dodos Kids Club (3-12 years) comes complete with a toddler’s pool, games room (including snooker, table football and tennis), children’s DVDs, computers and video games. There is also a weekly activities program that includes fun things such as flower making, kid’s yoga, face painting and musical games. Babysitting services are available on request for those under 3 years old. Families can also opt to watch movies under the stars in the evening, or take cooking classes together.
This boutique hotel is a 50-minute drive from the airport and offers stylish accommodation in a cosy atmosphere. Families can opt for interconnecting rooms and villas, and there is the option for all-inclusive board. The Kids Club is open till 10pm and features a kiddie pool, open play areas and interactive games like building a kid’s circus. Get messy with traditional local arts and crafts or sign up for one of the themed days including pizza and ice cream making. There is an imagination space for the younger kids (ages 4-6 years) which includes a playhouse, kitchenette and even cool 4-wheel drive cars! Parents will love the 2 bars, beautiful wellness spa and 18-hole golf course.