We continue the Little Steps Talking Heads series, where parents can meet, greet, and get tips from Hong Kong’s Heads of Schools! Get personal with these fabulous personalities and find out what makes them tick, their advice for parents navigating the schooling scene, and their favorite things about life in the city.
In this edition, we say hello to Gazel Razavi, Principal of EtonHouse International Pre-School in Tai Po.
1. Do you have a nickname? Not really.
2. Where were you born and where did you grow up? Born in Tehran, grew up in Paris and studied in London.
3. Where do you live in the city and why do you love it there? Currently, I live in Pokfulam. I love it because it is close to all the amenities but far from the hustle and bustle. However, my commute to the school is very long and we are considering moving to the New Territories.
4. What's in your lunchbox? Most of the days, salad or a hummus sandwich.
1. What or who inspired you to become a headmaster? The headmaster of my daughter’s school (when she was in primary school, now she is in year 11 and thinking of her university options).
2. Describe your school in 5 words or less!Safe, stimulating and with a caring community.
1. What's your favorite thing on your desk and why? My Diary, I note everything down in my diary.
2. What are your 3 favorite children's books? "The Gruffalo", “We Are Going on a Bear Hunt”, “Where the Wild Things Are”.
1. What is the best way for parents to be involved in their children’s education?Positive communication with the teachers and the school staff is the key point. Most of the schools welcome parents to join their PTA. If there is any area of concern, talk to your school’s staff as they can provide accurate information and support.
2. Any tips for parents when applying for schools? Read about the schools and their philosophy. Go for a school visit and see the classes in action. When it comes to choosing a right school for your child, there is no “one size fits all” solution.
3. What's the best advice a teacher or headmistress ever gave you? Listen carefully to others, be open-minded and flexible.
1 Winner, 6 Prizes – We Are Celebrating The Re-Launch Of The Bump Club Hong Kong!