The Zoological and Botanical Gardens, also known as Hong Kong Zoo, is the oldest park in Hong Kong. Built in 1860, they were partially opened four years later but did not fully open to the public until 1871. They were used initially as a place to keep various native plants for research. In 1876, birds and mammals joined the collection.
The park spans more than five hectares of lush vegetation between Garden Road, Robinson Road, Glenealy and Upper Albert Road. The eastern part of the park, situated to the east of Albany Road, is home to a children’s playground, aviaries and the fountain terrace garden, while the western part, located to the west of Albany Road is where visitors will find the mammals and reptiles. There are also a number of heritage attractions of interest in the park including Stone Pillars, a Memorial Arch and a bronze statue of King George VI.
Orang-utans, gibbon, lemurs, sloths, racoons and a variety of monkeys are housed in the gardens, as well as a wide range of birds and a selection of plants including rare and special species. There is a wealth of information available on everything that calls the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens home, encouraging visitors to go away with a greater understanding of the animals and plants that reside in the park and to consider conservation, biodiversity and environmental issues.
Kids and adults who are curious about the plants, birds and animals of our world.
The Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens are accessible from Admiralty or Central MTR stations, or from stops on bus routes 12, 13, 12A, 12M, 40M, 40P, 40, 23B, 23 and 103.
Hong Kong Zoo
Albany Road, Central, Hong Kong